Latest Live in Care News

Engaging a Live-In Care Service Provider in the UK: A Guide for Homeowners

Posted around 6 months ago •


If you or a loved one need some help with personal care, such as washing, dressing, eating and drinking, or companionship, such as socialising, hobbies and activities, you may consider engaging a live-in care service provider in the UK. A live-in care service provider is a type of agency that is registered and regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) or equivalent bodies in Scotland and Wales. They provide and direct the care and support that you receive from a live-in carer, who stays with you in your home and provides care and support for you as agreed in your care plan.

Engaging a live-in care service provider can help you maintain your independence and quality of life at home, but it also involves some responsibilities and arrangements. This guide aims to provide a comprehensive overview of what homeowners need to consider and provide when engaging a live-in care service provider.

1. Suitable Accommodation

The first thing you need to provide for a live-in carer is a comfortable and private space for them to rest and relax. This should ideally be a separate bedroom with access to a bathroom. The room should have a bed, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a chair, a table, a lamp and a lockable door. You should also provide bedding, towels and toiletries for the carer. The room should be clean, warm and well-ventilated, and have access to a power socket and a TV or radio. You should respect the carer’s privacy and not enter their room without permission.

2. Access to Facilities and Amenities

The second thing you need to provide for a live-in carer is access to your bathroom, kitchen, living room and other facilities in your home. You should also provide them with food and drinks, or a budget to buy their own. You should make sure the carer has access to the internet, phone and postal services, as well as transport and parking if needed. You should also inform the carer of any house rules, such as smoking, pets, visitors and noise levels.

3. A Fair and Legal Contract

The third thing you need to provide for a live-in carer is a fair and legal contract that outlines the terms and conditions of their employment. The contract should be provided by the live-in care service provider, who is responsible for finding, training and supervising a suitable carer, as well as creating and reviewing a care plan that meets your needs and preferences. The contract should include details about the carer’s duties, hours, pay, holidays, sick leave, notice period and grievance procedure. The contract should also comply with relevant standards and regulations, such as the National Minimum Wage, the Working Time Regulations and the Health and Safety at Work Act.

4. Insurance

The fourth thing you need to provide for a live-in carer is insurance. The live-in care service provider should have appropriate insurance coverage to protect you and the carer from any accidents or injuries that occur at work. This could include employer’s liability insurance, public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance. You should also check your own home insurance policy to see if it covers any damages or losses caused by the carer or their belongings.

5. Support and Supervision

The fifth thing you need to provide for a live-in carer is support and supervision. The live-in care service provider should provide regular check-ins and support to ensure the carer is performing their duties effectively and to address any issues that may arise. You should also communicate with the carer clearly and regularly, and give them feedback, praise and recognition for their work. You should also listen to their suggestions and concerns, and respect their personal and professional boundaries. You should also involve the carer in any reviews or changes to your care plan.


Engaging a live-in care service provider is a significant commitment and requires careful consideration and planning. By ensuring you provide the necessary accommodation, access, contract, insurance and support, you can create a positive working environment that benefits both you and the carer. Remember, the goal is to ensure your comfort and well-being at home.

For an informal chat about your options, be it a care home, homecare or a 24 hour live-in carer, its free to speak with a certified Quality Care Adviser at Network Live in Care. Simply call 0121 728 8958 or email Gavin Chase on